Saturday, March 1, 2008

Spot the Dog, Name the Veg

Sometimes very ordinary things have spectacular moments.





In this picture, we had forgotten about the purple vegetable in the cupboard, and it had begun to send out shoots.


I wanted to capture this spectacular moment in its life, and as I took this frame, our Alpine Shepherd, Shadow, came to investigate.

So, what is the vegetable, and where is the dog?


(Answers coded as follows - shift each letter in the alphabet back to get the correct letter, remembering to let Z be denoted by A, A by B etc.)

Answer: ZBN (ps Sxffu qpsbsp), voefs uif ubcmf.


Here is Shadow in all her glory:

She's called Shadow because she's extremely quiet when she moves, and she sticks close to me.

Did you notice, by the way, that in the movie "Eight Below" (in which one of the huskeys was named "Shadow") the ridiculous proposition, that the dogs were left in the Antarctic as Winter arrived, yet the whole movie took place in daylight, ignoring the permanent darkness that would have prevailed at that time?

Something else that got up my nose was the horribly artificial relationships between all the human characters. I could feel the scriptwriter setting up each one to be a model human being at each moment.

AAAaaagh - I feel the need for a poem:

Tongue tied.
“Words are messengers, false or true,
Making war
or peace ‘twixt me and you.
Deep inside my trembling soul,
It’s words alone that make me whole.”

“Stop” she cried, “Don’t say it again –
Words do not, cannot, heal all pain!”

I heard, I stopped, I sought more power
And healed her pain with a lovely flower.

Anybody out there?
Pappi.


No comments: